Dec. 28, 1835: William Chandler is born in Concord. He will go on to become a U.S. senator and secretary of the Navy. He will found the Rumford Press and revitalize a struggling Monitor.
Dec. 28, 1978: State and Concord police officers arrest 28 people in the largest drug bust in city history. Thirty-one people are eventually charged, but the Merrimack County attorney will eventually drop all charges. The chief reasons: a lack of cooperation between the police and prosecutors and flaws in a diary recording the work of an undercover agent.
Dec. 29, 1933: The low temperature in Concord is 21 below zero. That's what it was yesterday. And that's what it will be again tomorrow.
Dec. 29, 1905: The Monitor reports on the opening of the New England Telephone and Telegraph exchange, a two-story building at School and Green streets. On the upper floor are two pay phones staffed by attendants. Female operators at the switchboard, regularly asking, "Number, please," make connections for callers. Beginning with 1,688 subscribers, the building will provide phone service for half a century.
Dec 30, 1869: A Grant Club is organized in Concord. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant is "the people's general, and will be the people's president," the Monitor asserts.
Dec. 30, 1926: Allen and Amoret Hollis deed Concord the land for "a playground and athletic facility for the citizens of the City of Concord." They also donate a plaque for what will be known as Memorial Field, in honor of the city's dead from the late World War. Among those who died during the war were the Hollises' son, Allen Jr., and nephew, Henry Hollis Jr.
Dec. 31, 1869: A group of young men from Concord gathers to greet the New Year. "One raised his glass and pledged upon his honor as a man, that not a single drop of intoxicating liquor should pass his lips in 1870." Impressed, another poured the party's whiskey down the drain. The Monitor approved, reporting: "These men have made a good beginning for 1870."
Jan. 1, 1819: The Phenix Hotel, built by Abel Hutchins, opens on Main Street in Concord as "a house of entertainment."
Jan. 1, 1865: Lewis Downing Sr. retires from Abbot & Downing, his coach and wagon company.
• Jan. 2, 1784: The Legislature grants Concord official townhood.
Jan. 3, 1952: The Concord City Council rejects plans for a $1.75 million jet fighter base for the National Guard at Concord Airport. Officials call the plan too disruptive for residents of the Heights.