Ever wonder just what happens to your garbage after you kick it to the curb? So did we! Last week, we rode along with a Bestway truck to follow a bag of trash from curbside to – well, whatever the heck comes next!
Come ride along with the Insider on our trashy odyssey. All we ask is that, when you’re done reading, don’t forget to recycle us! Or frame this issue and put it on the wall – your call.
While we were on the journey, we also picked up some crucial trash tips. Read on and become enlightened
- Grossed out by the smell of your garbage cans? Put a fresh dryer sheet on the bottom of the barrel. Your nose will thank you – and so will the garbagemen!
- Put your recycling and trash barrels on opposite sides of your driveway. Otherwise, your trash might be obscured by the recycling bins and the garbage truck could miss it!
- Residents need to make special arrangements to dispose of TVs and other electronics, as well as furniture and other bulky items. Contact Bestway at 224-5454 to inquire about rates and schedule a pickup.
- Dangerous materials, like cleaning supplies, fuel, rat poison and the like can’t be thrown in the trash. Take them to Household Hazardous Waste Day at Everett Arena on Sept. 29 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Want a tour of the Wheelabrator facility? It’s pretty cool! Call 753-8411 to set up a tour.
- To see a video explaining just how the Wheelabrator facility works, visit wheelabratortechnologies.com/plants/how-it-works