Police Log

March 24 edition
article tools

March 13
Name change
Officer Brian Longabardi was driving on Manchester Street when he saw a vehicle make a right turn on red onto Manchester Street from Old Turnpike Road, according to his report. Longabardi stopped the vehicle on Water Street, he wrote, and made contact with the driver, who was identified as S Sully.

“I asked him for his license and he told me he didn’t have one,” Longabardi wrote. “When I asked him why he didn’t have a license, he told me because it was suspended. I explained that it was suspended back in 1987 which then carried over from Philadelphia, where he was stopped and had his license suspended because of a ticket he received in New Hampshire.”
Longabardi asked Sully if he had any form of identification, he wrote, and Sully handed him a Florida ID card.

“Sully then went on and explained that his birth name is James, which he legally changed to just Sully,” Longabardi wrote. “His identification and DMV records show his name is on file as S Sully, which he explained that the IRS had to assign his name as S Sully because he couldn’t leave the first name field blank.”

Dispatch ran Sully’s name, Longabardi wrote, and said his license was suspended because of multiple default court summonses. Longabardi took Sully, 48, of Concord, into custody, and he was charged with driving after revocation or suspension, he wrote.

Sully’s bail was set at $1,500 personal recognizance, and he was to be arraigned out of Concord District Court on April 15.

March 14
Knock, knock
At about 10:22 p.m., Master Police Officer Joseph Pitta and Officer Thomas Yerkes were sent to Douglas Avenue for a report of a woman shouting and honking a car horn. According to Pitta’s report, when the officers arrived, dispatch reported that there had been another call about suspicious activity on Winsor Avenue involving juveniles trying to force their way into a house.

The officers went to the Winsor Avenue address and found that no one was home and that there was no sign of anyone in the area, Pitta wrote.
“While we were checking . . . Winsor, I heard a woman shouting from the area of Douglas Ave.,” Pitta wrote.

Pitta and Yerkes then spoke to a woman who lived on Winsor Avenue, who said a woman had been shouting, swearing and pounding on the doors at the house behind hers on Douglas Avenue, Pitta wrote. The woman said she was in her house and could her the woman shouting, “Michael, let me in! Open this door now!” and “I’ll shoot you!”
The woman said she had called the police to report the disturbance, Pitta wrote.
Pitta and Yerkes then drove over to the area of Douglas Avenue and Fisherville Road, Pitta wrote.

“When I got out of my cruiser I could hear someone pounding on a door and shouting, “Michael, let me in! Open the f*cking door!” Pitta wrote. The shouting was coming from three houses away, Pitta wrote. The officer approached the house and found a woman pounding on the door and demanding to be let in, Pitta wrote.

“There were no lights on in the house,” Pitta wrote. “I called to the woman and asked her if she lived there. She told me that she did not live there and that it was her sister’s house. When the woman turned to face me, I saw that she was bleeding from a quarter-sized scrape on her chin. The zipper on her pants was down. She had blood on her hands and clothes.”
Pitta asked the woman to have a seat on the front steps, and she did, he wrote.

The woman said she was Catherine Fannon, 42, of New Ipswich, Pitta wrote. She said she was pounding on the door because her husband, sister and brother-in-law were in the house but were not answering the door, Pitta wrote. She told Pitta that she had fallen in the driveway and hurt her chin, but she didn’t want any medical attention, Pitta wrote.

The woman said she didn’t know how she’d gotten locked out of the house, Pitta wrote. She said she’d gone drinking at the American Legion in Penacook with her husband, sister and brother-in-law and that she was in the house when they got home but did not know how she ended up outside, Pitta wrote.

“I could smell liquor on Fannon’s breath, and her speech was slurred and rambling,” Pitta wrote. “She kept changing subjects and repeating herself.”

Pitta had dispatch call the residence, but there was no answer, he wrote. He then placed Fannon under arrest for disorderly conduct and brought her to the police station, he wrote, where she talked “almost nonstop the entire time she was in the station, repeating stories about her children and grandchildren over and over again.”

Bail was set at $750 personal recognizance, and Fannon was due in court April 23. She was released to her daughter.

March 15
Threatening texts
At about 4:20 p.m., Officer Wade Brown was notified that a person had showed up at police headquarters to make a harassment report, he wrote.

He met with the woman, who said she’d been at the Green Martini the night before, on a date, when she ran into a man she knows as Paul “Andrew” Smentek, Brown wrote. The woman said she and Smentek had dated for about four weeks last year, but they’d been just friends since then, Brown wrote. When Smentek saw her on a date, she said, he became enraged and began shouting profanities at her, and following her around the bar, mouthing curse words at her and taunting her, Brown wrote.

When she came out of the bathroom, she told Brown, Smentek asked her to go outside and talk with him, Brown wrote, and she refused. Smentek then began shouting at her and her date, Brown wrote, calling her profanities and threatening her.

The woman said Smentek caused such a scene that the bartender and bouncer grabbed him and escorted him out of the bar, Brown wrote.

The woman said she and her date stayed inside the bar for a while longer before leaving around 1 a.m., Brown wrote. When they left she said, Smentek was across the street, apparently waiting for them, and began shouting at them, calling her foul names, Brown wrote. The woman said she hurried to get to their vehicle and away from Smentek, and she saw a police car pull up and stop him, but she did not approach the officer and didn’t know what happened, Brown wrote.

Within 15 minutes of leaving the bar, the woman said, she began receiving harassing text messages from Smentek, saying things such as, “You are done,” she told Brown, according to the report. The texts alarmed her, she said, because Smentek had never acted like this before and seemed to have “gone off the deep end,” Brown wrote.

She said she feared for her safety because Smentek knew where she lived, and that she had stayed at a hotel the night before because she felt safe there, Brown wrote. The woman showed Brown her cell phone, which had several texts threatening the woman and calling her foul names, Brown wrote.

The woman told Brown she hadn’t been home yet because she was afraid, Brown wrote, and appeared to be nervous and upset.

Because the two had had a prior romantic relationship, Brown wrote, he determined that this incident qualified as domestic violence, and that the 12-hour warrant exception rule was effective from the time of the last text message.

At 5 p.m., Brown contacted Smentek, 27, of Nashua, and asked if he had been approached by police officers the night before, he wrote. Smentek said he had and that it was because he had been yelling at his ex-girlfriend because she had lied to him, Brown wrote. Brown asked Smentek if he had had any further communications with her since that point, and Smentek said, “Yeah, I’ve sent her text messages all day, I’ll stop,” Brown wrote.

“At that point I informed him that he had already committed the offense of harassment and would have to be arrested,” Brown wrote. “Mr. Smentek stated that he understood and agreed to turn himself in within an hour and a half. I further instructed him that he was not to have any further communications with (the woman), as that could result in additional charges.”
Smentek turned himself in at the police station at 6 p.m., and during processing, he said he was sorry about what happened and promised that it would never happen again, Brown wrote. He said he “should have known better than to do that,” Brown wrote.

Bail was set at $1,000 personal recognizance, and Smentek was due in court April 15.


Login or register to post a comment.