We attended a recent open house at the Concord Boys & Girls Club, 55 Bradley St., and not only had a great time (they gave us cookies!) but learned quite a bit about the club.
Here are five things we didn’t know prior to our visit:
- The club was founded in 1944 by the Concord Police Department as a way to keep boys out of trouble.
- The club has three locations: Concord, Allenstown and Hopkinton. An average of 225 kids walk through the clubs’ doors on a daily basis.
- Club members at all three locations include boys and girls, ages 6-18, from over 20 towns in Merrimack County.
- The Concord Boys & Girls Club was not only the first club in the nation to add “& Girls” to its name, but it was also the first to create a teen center.
- Over 50 percent of club members have a documented family income at or below New Hampshire’s low income threshold.
To learn even more about the club, sign up to attend a Discovery Hour. Upcoming dates include April 13 and 27 and May 4 and 25 at 4:30 p.m. To sign up, contact Carol Morse at 224-1061 or email@example.com.